Monday, January 25, 2010

Web-Comics = A.N.A. Comics + You

Web-Comics = A.N.A. Comics + You
01.25.2010


A.N.A. Comics is happy to announce our new initiative for Creators looking to break into web-comics! There are two ways a creator can have their web-comics find their home here at ANAcomics.com.


1. SUBMIT – We are always looking for Creators to team with us, if you would like to submit your web-comic for consideration, please follow our submissions guidelines found here: http://www.anacomics.com/contact-info.html - some things to remember is that if your web-comic is accepted, there is no cost to you for us to host your property, you retain all rights and ownership, and a contract will be signed and put in place to detail the relationship. A.N.A. Comics also reserves the right to exercise editorial guidance regarding content, art, and quality of the property.

2. PARTNER - A.N.A. Comics is opening up an opportunity for Creators to Partner with A.N.A. Comics in hosting their own web-comics. How the partnership works is a little different than if you submit your work to be part of A.N.A. Comics. Aside from the standard rule of NO excessive violence, sexuality, or other explicit content (being an all ages company we try to keep everything PG-13 at most), a web-comic partnership affords the creators complete independence with their property. A.N.A. Comics will work with you, set up your own website for your comic (example: web.anacomics.com/YOURWEBCOMIC), and utilize our resources to help you build your property. Similar to the SUBMIT option, all final details will be in writing protecting YOU, A.N.A. Comics, and especially your property.

Packages start at $5/month for a basic web-comic site design, and are available for purchase in 6 month increments. ALL packages have a $25 set up fee.

Level 1 site
6 months @ $5/month (basic site $25 setup fee) = $55
1 year @ $5/month (basic site $25 setup fee) = $85

Level 2 site includes Web-comic logo at the top of site, and one RSS feed in content sidebar.
6 months @ $10/month (Level 2 site $25 setup fee) = $85
1 year @ $10/month (Level 2 site $25 setup fee) = $145

Level 3 site includes everything in level 2 plus 2 additional side bar items: Links, additional RSS feed, etc.
6 months @ $20/month (Level 3 site $25 setup fee) = $55
1 year @ $20/month (Level 3 site $25 setup fee) = $85

Level 4 site includes everything in prior levels and allows unlimited updates and add-ons with site access given to Creator.
6 months @ $30/month (basic site $25 setup fee) = $205
1 year @ $30/month (basic site $25 setup fee) = $285

SPECIAL OFFER: Get 25%off all 1year orders through March 31st 2010!!

Simply email: Business@anacomics.com for more detail or if you have questions you can visit the Board on our website, Thank you!

As part of our initiative, and constant effort to be very candid with our fans and supporters I have included below a very nice Web-comics questionnaire that was posed to me by Freddy over at the anacomics.com Board. This questionnaire was answered by our EIC/VP of Brand Management, Anthony Hary, Enjoy the read:

I would like to first share that I have been part of 5 web-comics prior to coming to A.N.A. Comics. I have learned a lot and have a lot of opinions about web-comics. Many of my answers will be from my current view point and not necessarily where I started with web-comics.

-Why do you do them? I think they are a very unique medium that allow for a lot of freedom of expression at a low monetary investment from the creators.

-Is it for the publicity? Sure. Anyone who creates wants some level of attention. I do NOT however create properties to be in a web-comic format just to get publicity for say a printed property. You can do that, but I think it helps to do a web-comic for what it is. Show it due respect.

-for the practice? That isn't really a motivator, but it is great practice. Especially if you are wanting to draw comic books. Do a web-comic and LEARN your craft. I recommend it.

-is there a story you just had to get out that didn't fit in any other format? No. that has never been an issue.

-How strict are you with deadlines? I am strict with deadlines. (ask Nick lol) But deadlines for web-comics are not like deadlines for a comic book. You have a little more flexibility. Everyone who does web-comics with A.N.A. Comics will be required to have at least 2-3 months of strip updates ready to publish before the web-comic ever goes live. This is just better for everyone.

-How often have you dropped the ball? I've dropped the ball plenty in the past. When I did everything on my own and had no support network. I was updating the website. Doing press, writing, drawing, inking, lettering, and coloring. It was nuts and too much work.

-did you have back-up strips? I had all my strips archived and accessible to new readers if that is what you are asking. I think this is key to success.

-Guest artists/writers? At times I have been a guest artist or writer, but I have never utilized one for myself. I may have to someday. lol

-Do you write and draw your strip yourself? Yes, indeed I did. On a couple I had a co-creator, whom I still work with. Most of the heavy lifting I did alone however.

-are they a series of stand-alone strips(like Garfield?) or do you have a clear story arch scripted that connects each strip OR do you just make it up as you go along? ALL of mine are written before hand, even if its not a timeline based story and it jumps like Garfield. I always knew and know where I am going. This is key in my opinion for a successful strip. You have to have a path mapped out or you can get burned out and feel overwhelmed. But everyone has their own style.

-If you hire a writer (or an artist) how protective are you about your concept? Put EVERYTHING in writing. That is super important. I don’t care who are you are working with. Don’t just protect yourself, protect your investment and that means agreements and contracts are written up before ANY kind of creative collaboration takes place.

-Do you let the other person have creative input on story/design? Yes. If I am on a team for a project, everyone should be welcome to contribute. Its better that way too. Helps with the revision and development process.

-How concerned are you about readership stats? The only stat that matters is that those people who take a chance on us and read our web-comic like it. I want them to like it, love it, come back and read it again. That is the goal. Whether its 10 or 10,000, that stat is still secondary to whether people like it. Now having 10,000 readers is also a goal, and would ROCK!! Things take time and you have to take care of first things first. You gotta put out a GOOD PRODUCT!

No comments:

Post a Comment